Sunday, May 15, 2011

technique book

At some point I started naming the different collage techniques I've learned, invented, used.  For example, one of them is The Haircut.  This is when you trim someone's hair or head so that it deliberately looks ridiculous, cool, wrong.  Another technique is The Deliberate Reversal.  This is when, for instance, you cut out a crab, a lamp, a bed, and then, deliberately flip the image over and use whatever happens to be on the backside of the page.  I don't often use this move, though I do use a version of it for which I don't currently have a name.  Finally, for this post at least, there is The Pop-Up.  This is when, for instance, you take your X-Acto knife and trim along the crest of a hill, for instance, though it could be anything, and slide another image into that cut so that the image you slid in there appears to be Popping Up from behind the hill.  


I used a cousin of The Haircut, The Rough Trim, in this collage.  Notice the bathing dude in the bottom left-hand corner.  Notice how rougly I trimmed around him.  Anyway, I want to compile all the different techniques/moves and couple each one with an example of the move, and make a book out of it.  For what reason?  Dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment